Monday, July 14, 2014

Long Weekend = Relaxing!

General update time! We had a really relaxing weekend, which is nice because it's been a while since we got to truly relax!

On Friday, I (Haley) took off work a little early; I have been getting over a cold, and I had a headache at work. So I went home about 10:30 and went back to bed for a little bit, which turned out to be exactly what I needed! I woke up refreshed a couple of hours later, paid the bills and did the budget for the month, and then went grocery shopping to pick up a few things.

Reece's parents came over that night (they were in town for the weekend), and we grilled hot dogs and chatted. They helped us date some childhood photos of Reece which we'd been unsure about. And they gave us some really cool skewers, for roasting weenies or marshmallows over a campfire. The Scouts in their area had a fundraiser and sold these as part of it; we love them! It will be fun to take those on our ward campout this coming weekend.

On Saturday, while Reece went on a bike ride with his dad, I used the newly dated photos and put together a book on Shutterfly of Reece's childhood photos. Usually we use Snapfish, but my mom gave us a coupon for a free 20 page book. I finished it up, and was able to order it; should be here sometime next week!

I love doing these books; I just finished one of 2007 - 2013; it's our first official family photo album! I figured, no one is going to look at these pictures if we just leave them on a hard drive or phones, so I started a system to get them all over to the computer, and then I'll make books periodically. I have big plans for photo books for our children! We did one in April for Reece's mission, and I'm in the progress of scanning his mission letters as well (in fact, the scanner is running in the background as I type this post).

After having such a blast making the photo book (I know, I'm a nerd; and I love it!), I gave myself a break from doing anything productive at all, and just had fun! I played my piano, Reece and I watched some shows together, and I looked on Pinterest for Primary ideas. I put my phone on Do Not Disturb mode so I wouldn't get any texts or calls, and took a bubble bath. So nice! It was a really awesome day.

Sunday was good too! Reece had a meeting in the morning, and I got up and watched Music and the Spoken Word, and worked on some stuff for Primary music. Our ward doesn't meet until 2:00 (!!), so I had lots of time to work in the morning. I was substituting for the organist, so we got there a few minutes early, and had a really good meeting. And then at the end of Sacrament Meeting (the first hour, where everyone meets in the chapel before splitting off into smaller classes), the Bishop (local ecclesiastical leader, like a pastor or priest) got up and announced that they were having a problem with the building's plumbing, and after the closing prayer they would invite everyone to return to their homes. So I didn't have to teach my lesson (well, play my game; I'm the music leader so we just have fun), and we got an extra 2 hours at home! I finished up arranging some of the music for our Primary Program in October, and choosing kids to play the extra parts (we have lots of musicians, so I'm going to have them play in addition to the whole group singing).

I did a little doodling yesterday, and had fun experimenting with sock buns (I know I'm late to the trend, but I just started doing them):
Reece and me!

Love this style; so easy, stays put, and most importantly in this heat, keeps my hair off my neck!


Monday's not technically a weekend day, but I don't work on Mondays, and Reece took today off work. We took the car in for some routine stuff (oil change, registration renewal, and new brakes) and found out that the weird clicking noise our brakes have been making for a few days is some problem with the drive shaft, so it's costing us about 4 digits to fix all of this. Thank goodness we are in a place financially that we can afford surprises like this (just not too close together, please)! The car's been there all day, we're waiting for a phone call so we can go pick it up; a very sweet friend took me to pick up Reece when we learned how long this would take, and is going to take us back to get the car, whenever it's ready. I'm so glad we have such great friends!

Anyways, that's life with us!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like such a fun weekend! :). I'm glad you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete